Sunday, May 11, 2008

QuirkyEconomist

I’ve been a quirkyalone for a long time, I just didn’t know there was a term for it until recently when I happened to pick up Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics at the library. I’ve also been an economist for a long time, but I definitely knew that. Economists tend to see the world a little differently from most people – we try to separate value-laden judgments from the objective costs and benefits of available choices. Quirkyalones, by their very existence, seem to challenge the value-laden judgments that permeate the way society has traditionally seen single people. I’m not sure if there is anything unique about being both an economist and a quirkyalone at the same time but hopefully, my posts to this blog will be interesting to those who might be one or the other or both. Besides, it seemed like a good name for a blog…

No comments: