Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Quirkyalone Day!

I've said before that I love Valentine's Day - basically, I love any day that gives me an excuse to eat chocolate and candy without guilt! Ironically, I think I like it more when single than when coupled. When I was single, I could just eat my candy, send silly cards to friends and enjoy feelin' the love. As part of a couple, Valentine's Day seems to create all kinds of weird expectations. J and I both think it's no big deal but somehow, even if we agree on that, not acknowledging the day at all seems weird.

But rather than spend even more energy feeling weird about it, I thought I'd go in a different direction and remind everyone that today is also National Donor Day. According to the OrganDonor website:
  • As of February 1, 2010, there were 105,525 people waiting for an organ for transplant.
  • Approximately 35,000 children and adults in our country have life-threatening blood diseases that could be treated by a marrow/blood stem cell or cord blood transplant.
  • Every two seconds someone in America needs blood, more than 39,000 units each day, according to the American Red Cross.
If you go to their website, you can get lots of information about how and where to donate organs, blood, blood marrow or stem cells. Show some love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a very cool thing to publish on V-day, Jen! Thanks for sharing :)

And whenever I have been in a couple around the time of V-day, it was always very strange for me/us too, b/c I have always been a cynic :)

- L